Internships / Fellowships / Seasonal / Academic Positions
A.W. Mellon Fellow for Japanese Art
Minneapolis Institute of Arts
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
This is a one-year benefited fellowship with the Minneapolis Institute of Arts that could be extended to two years. The main purpose of this Fellowship is to research and catalogue the MIA’s collections of Japanese and Korean Art.
In this role, you will...
- Interpret and catalogue the MIA’s collections of Japanese and Korean art.
- Organize gallery rotations and exhibitions by writing gallery and object information texts.
- Work with other Divisions in the development of programs around the MIA’s Japanese and Korean collections.
- Cultivate relationships with donors, professional colleagues, partner organizations, and the community in furtherance of the MIA’s strategic goals.
- Minimal requirements include an MA in Art History with a specialization in Japanese art. Candidates who have completed a Ph.D. with emphasis on Japanese art or are enrolled in such a Ph.D. program are preferred.
- Proficiency in Japanese.
- Excellent writing, organizational, and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as interdepartmentally throughout the museum.
- Some museum experience and knowledge of TMS or comparable collections management software preferred.
- National and international candidates are considered.
The Minneapolis Institute of Arts is an audience-focused workplace where everyone strives to provide excellent service and cultivate honest and positive relationships. Generosity, agility, emotional intelligence, positive energy, and drive are the core values that define the MIA’s culture. Successful employment at the MIA includes full embrace and demonstrable indicators of these values by all team members.
You’re good at and enjoy...
- Writing interpretive material
- Art historical research
- Working independently
- Coordinating projects to completion
- Being a team player
- Promoting art appreciation in a museum context
A complete application includes a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, article-length English-language writing sample, 2 letters of recommendation.
Please send the letter, curriculum vitae, and writing sample to: email@example.com.
Please ask references to send letters of recommendation to the following address directly: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that these letters will be verified.
Mail: Attn: Human Resources, Minneapolis Institute of Arts, 2400 3rd Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55404
Fax: (612) 870-3263
Please reference museum-employment.com when applying for this job.
This job posted by MERC from October 3 through January 5.
The last update to this page was 10-3-14.